Joan Deery, a WACHH Director for the past six years and Program Chair of the Program Committee (2014 to 2016) has extensive experience and expertise in foreign affairs and international business.
As Program Chair, Ms. Deery was instrumental in establishing a specific policy focus for each of the Friday Morning Speaker presentations. The Program Committee’s theme “Critical Priorities for U.S. Foreign Policy” guided their work. Outstanding speakers have provided timely insight on major international issues. They have included:
- Iran and the Road to Peace. Hossein Mousavian, former head of the Foreign Relations Committee of Iran’s National Security Council. Mr. Mousavian spoke to the membership five months before the signing of the Iran Nuclear Agreement
- Cuba and a new U.S. Foreign Policy. Julia Sweig, senior fellow for Latin American Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations. Ms. Sweig spoke one month after the official U.S. opening to Cuba.
- Pakistan’s Former Ambassador to the United States, Hussain Haqqani’s focus was “Magnificent Delusions: United States, Pakistan and an Epic History of Misunderstanding.
- Europe and its Refugee Crisis. Frances G. Burwell, vice president of European Union and special initiatives at the Atlantic Council.
- The Iran Nuclear Deal. George Perkovich, vice president for studies at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. His presentation was three months after the signing of the Iran Nuclear Agreement.
Thanks to the invaluable contributions of the Program Committee, the Friday Morning Speaker events have been well received and WACHH’s membership continues to expand.
In addition to WACHH, Ms. Deery has served as Treasurer for the League of Women Voters, Chair of SCORE, a national volunteer organization that advises small businesses, and served on the Beaufort County Board of Education for four years.
Ms. Deery is a graduate of the University of Connecticut with a bachelor’s degree in Political Science and History. She became a CIA analyst upon graduation. She subsequently joined IBM where she had an extensive career focusing on systems engineering, marketing, product development and corporate strategy. For five years Ms. Deery lived in Japan where she analyzed Japanese computer manufacturers’ products and worked on a joint product development project with a major Japanese printer manufacturer. During those years, she traveled extensively in the Far East and Soviet Union. Ms. Deery and her husband have resided on Hilton Head for the past 17 years.
Published June 15, 2016