1. Citizens of four Ukrainian regions, occupied by Russian forces, were called to vote in a referendum, called a sham by Ukraine and the West, organized to achieve THIS outcome for Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia.
A. Change the official language to Russian
B. Compel service in the Russian Army for 18-55 year-old men
C. Approve annexation as Russian territory
D. Leave Ukraine and form autonomous states
Correct Response: C. Approve annexation as Russian territory
2. In an address to Russians, President Putin issued the following orders and warnings EXCEPT THIS one.
A. Threatened the use of nuclear weapons
B. Threatened to attack weapons supply chains in Poland
C. Issued a military manpower mobilization order
D. Ordered referenda in occupied Ukrainian territories
Correct Response: B. Threatened to attack weapons supply chains in Poland.
3. Protests erupted across THIS country in response to the death in police custody of Mahsa Amini charged with inappropriate wearing of her head scarf. Over 30 protesters and five security officers have been killed in the clashes as of September 25th.
A. Saudi Arabia
Correct Response: B. Iran
4. The first far-right government since Mussolini’s National Fascist Party is set to take power after Sunday’s voting in Italy. The election will send THIS leader of the Brothers of Italy party to the Prime Minister’s office.
A. Georgia Meloni
B. Marine Le Pen
C. Isabella Rossellini
D. Gina Ferrari
Correct Response: A. Georgia Meloni
5. President Joe Biden told an on-camera interview that the U.S. would defend Taiwan against a Chinese attack. White House officials later said there was no change in THIS so-called U.S. policy. Biden’s repeated statements of support have drawn “stern representations” of protest from Beijing.
A. Don’t ask, don’t tell
B. Strategic ambiguity
C. Furtive strategy
D. Indo-Pacific framework
Correct Response: B. Strategic ambiguity
6. The United States, the United Kingdom and others have asked the United Nations Human Rights Council to discuss China’s abuses of the mostly Muslim Uyghurs in THIS region.
A. Hong Kong
Correct Response: D. Xinjiang
7. The World Cup set to start November 20 in THIS Persian Gulf nation has many of the more than one million fans complaining about a shortage of and high cost of accommodations. Some plan to fly back and forth on match days to Doha from Dubai where lodging is more available and affordable.
Correct Response: C. Qatar
8. As large numbers of Russians fearing military conscription flee to neighboring nations, the Baltic states are cutting off automatic asylum consideration and closing their borders, saying they hope discontent will grow. The Baltic states are these nations EXCEPT THIS one.
Correct Response: A. Macedonia
9. With 1,500 matches over 24 years and accolades as possibly the best tennis player ever, THIS Swiss superstar announced his retirement.
A. Novak Djokovic
B. Rod Laver
C. Roger Federer
D. Rafael Nadal
Correct Response: C. Roger Federer
10. Boeing will pay $200 million to settle civil charges resulting from false airworthiness statements the company made about THIS aircraft after a fatal crash. Despite knowledge of a faulty control system the company said the planes were “as safe as any that has ever flown the skies,” two crashes killed 346 people before the planes were grounded.
A. 747 Extended Range
B. 737 Max
C. Airbus 340
D. 787 Dreamliner
Correct Response: B. 737 Max