1. In a surprise announcement THIS oil cartel led by Saudi Arabia said it would cut production by 1.15 million barrels per day from May until the end of the year. The result will boost per barrel crude prices by as much as $10, boost a gallon of gas at U.S. pumps by about 26 cents on top of the seasonal blend increases of about 32 cents and boost Russian energy revenues.
Correct Response: C. OPEC
2. Taiwan’s president, Tsai Ing-wen, will stop in California after visits in Central America and is expected to meet with THIS American politician. Observers warn of a strong reaction from Beijing as was seen last year when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi visited Taipei.
A. Mike Pence
B. Mike Pompeo
C. Kevin McCarthy
D. Charlie McCarthy
Correct Response: C. Kevin McCarthy
3. The International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant for Vladimir Putin for war crimes will create problems for Russia’s friends and other contacts. South Africa, an ICC member, will face scrutiny as it has invited Putin to the annual meeting of the BRICS nations, THIS grouping, in August.
A. Brazil, Russia, Indonesia, China, Saudi Arabia
B. Brazil, Russia, Indonesia, Canada, South Africa
C. Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa
D. Brazil, Russia, India, China, Saudi Arabia
Correct Response: C. Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa
4. In an escalation of Russia’s confrontation with Washington over the Ukraine war, Wall Street Journal reporter, Evan Gershkovich, was charged in THIS city with spying and "collecting classified information" about a "military-industrial complex” for the United States.
Correct Response: B. Moscow
5. Since a women accused of improper wearing of the hijab died in custody last year THIS Middle East country has been mired in nationwide protests mostly by women. The government has doubled down to enforce mandatory hijab wearing with the Interior Minister saying it was essential to Islamic Law.
B. Saudi Arabia
Correct Response: A. Iran
6. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong of THIS Southeast Asian nation, an international trade powerhouse, met with President Xi Jinping in Beijing. Xi said China would build on relations to develop “new channels by land and sea.”
B. South Korea
Correct Response: C. Singapore
7. The way was cleared for THIS country to be welcomed into the NATO alliance after Turkey’s parliament voted to approve accession. However, Ankara is still blocking the way for Sweden to join.
Correct Response: A. Finland
8. Former Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte’s notorious war on drugs campaign led to over 6,000 killed by police. Now THIS successor in Manila has rejected the International Criminal Court’s investigation into possible crimes by Duterte, threatening to cut contact with the ICC.
A. Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
B. Joko Widodo
C. Mamady Doumbouya
D. Anwar Ibrahim
Correct Response: A. Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
9. The National League for Democracy (NLD) party of Aung San Suu Kyi and 39 other parties in THIS country were dissolved by the ruling military junta after refusing to register under a restrictive new law. Critics in the U.S. and Europe said it further destabilizes the strife-ridden country.
Correct Response: D. Myanmar
10. The Nevado del Ruiz volcano, about 80 miles from Bogata in THIS country, shows increasing signs of a major eruption according to President Gustavo Petro.
Correct Response: D. Colombia