1. The incumbent in the runoff election for President of Brazil, right-wing Jair Bolsonaro, was defeated by THIS leftist, former president, after a contentious divisive campaign that many on each side saw as an existential threat to the country.
A. Dilma Rousseff
B. Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva
C. Michel Temer
D. Nicolas Maduro
Correct Response: B. Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva
2. As Ukrainian forces continue to advance on Kherson, Russia is evacuating the city seen as gateway to THIS region of the country annexed by Moscow in 2014.
Correct Response: A. Crimea
3. Two Chinese intelligence officers were charged in the United States with interfering in the prosecution of THIS Chinese telecommunications company. They are charged with attempting to recruit a law enforcement official who turned out to be a double agent.
D. Ping An
Correct Response: B. Huawei
4. The Biden Administration accused Russia of “weaponizing food” after it suspended participation in THIS United Nations brokered arrangement.
A. Black Sea grain initiative
B. Donbas fertilizer export consortium
C. Odessa wheat shipment safety corridor
D. Global commons food navigation agreement
Correct Response: A. Black Sea grain initiative
5. Car bombs set off by the Al Shabab militant Islamic group in THIS capital of Somalia killed over 100 and injured more than 300 people.
C. Addis Ababa
Correct Response: D. Mogadishu
6. Over 150 people were killed and over 100 injured in the capital of THIS country when a chaotic Halloween party crowd jammed into a narrow alley.
C. South Korea
Correct Response: C. South Korea
7. Russian Defense Minister Shoigu claimed Ukraine was preparing to launch a “dirty bomb” which is THIS type of weapon. Western observers are concerned the claim could signal Russian intentions to detonate such a weapon and blame Ukraine.
A. An explosive combined with radioactive materials
B. Artillery delivered white phosphorus munitions
C. A large non-nuclear “blockbuster” bomb used against civilian targets
D. Air launched napalm
Correct Response: A. An explosive combined with radioactive materials
8. World leaders will meet in Egypt for COP27, Conference of the Parties, a grouping that works to limit climate change. The conference comes as global temperatures have risen 1.1 degrees Centigrade over 1850 levels, pushing toward the 1.5 degree target limit agreed to at THIS 2015 landmark agreement.
A. The COP-1 Climate Pact
B. Global Climate Change Limitation Agreement
C. The Paris Agreement
D. Agreement to Limit Greenhouse Gas
Correct Response: C. The Paris Agreement
9. Political paralysis continues to plague Northern Ireland where failure to seat the Stormont assembly has opened the prospect of new elections. The trouble is said to stem from the United Kingdom’s failure to resolve THIS issue in Northern Ireland amid political turmoil in London.
A. Post-Brexit UK-EU trade relations
B. Resistance to seating a majority composed of Sinn Fein members
C. Allocation of UK funding to Northern Ireland infrastructure
D. Failure to renew the 1998 Good Friday agreement
Correct Response: A. Post-Brexit UK-EU trade relations
10. Visitors to the Disney theme park in THIS Chinese city were locked inside as “zero-Covid” policy tactics were invoked. Authorities have locked down cities and venues, like the factory that makes iPhones, with little warning when local Covid cases were detected.
C. Hong Kong
Correct Response: B. Shanghai