1. Russian and Chinese leaders met in Samarkand this week where Xi remained ambiguous about Beijing’s position on the Ukrainian invasion. Putin appeared hopeful for more practical and rhetorical support considering the two pledged “no limits” on Russo-Sino relations during their February meeting on the sideline of THIS event.
A. Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit (APEC)
B. Russian joining China’s Belt and Road Initiative signing ceremony
C. Beijing Winter Olympics
D. Group of Twenty (G-20) Summit
Correct Response: C. Beijing Winter Olympics
2. Russia and China led headlines at the summit of THIS Eurasian political, economic and security organization in Uzbekistan last week. Meanwhile Iran moved to become a full partner and Turkey, a NATO member, is moving toward membership.
A. Shanghai Cooperation Organization
B. The Belt and Road Cooperative
C. Eurasian Security Treaty Organization
D. Eurasian Partnership Council
Correct Response: A. Shanghai Cooperation Organization
3. World leaders have arrived in London ahead of the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II on Monday. The monarch will be laid to rest at the St. George Chapel of THIS royal residence.
A. Balmoral Castle
B. Windsor Castle
C. Hollyroodhouse Palace
D. Westminster Abbey
Correct Response: B. Windsor Castle
4. The rapid Ukrainian army advance in the east of the country, called THIS, has allowed authorities to uncover a mass burial site in Izium where at least 440 unmarked graves have been discovered. Some bodies showed signs of torture at the hands of the displaced Russian occupiers.
A. Kharkiv offensive
B. Luhansk offensive
C. Mariupol offensive
D. Lviv offensive
Correct Response: A. Kharkiv offensive
5. Thirty NATO nations will convene talks among military leaders in Tallinn, capital of THIS member country on the eastern front of the alliance. They will discuss the June NATO new “Strategic Concept” of reinforcing the east to be able to respond to Russian provocation.
Correct Response: C. Estonia
6. Fresh fighting broke out between Azerbaijani and Armenian forces, proxies for Turkey and Russia respectively, this week. The neighbors have clashed for decades over control of THIS territory. U.S. House Speaker Pelosi announced she would visit Armenia.
Correct Response: D. Nagorno-Karabakh
7. Germany seized THIS asset from Russia’s Rosneft company to ensure its economic security and to prevent the company from continuing to earn profits from their operation.
A. Grain processing facilities
B. Oil refineries
C. Truck manufacturing plant
D. Semi conductor finishing facility
Correct Response: B. Oil refineries
8. The White House said the U.S. will send an additional $600 million worth of weapons to Ukraine including THIS system which has been very effective in reaching critical Russian army targets.
A. HIMARS guided multiple rocket launcher
B. Harpoon anti-ship cruise missile
C. HARM air to surface anti-radar missile
D. Javelin advanced anti-tank weapon
Correct Response: A. HIMARS guided multiple rocket launcher
9. Magdalena Andersson, Prime Minister of THIS Nordic nation, is stepping down after the right-wing bloc won a thin majority in parliamentary elections. The victory will empower a nationalist, anti-immigration far right party for the first time.
Correct Response: C. Sweden
10. President Joe Biden and scores of world leaders will meet this week at the annual opening session of THIS organization.
A. World Health Organization
B. United Nations General Assembly
C. Group of Twenty Summit
D. Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit
Correct Response: B. United Nations General Assembly