1. NATO leaders’ summit participants in Vilnius resisted Ukraine’s push to become a member of the alliance, some fearing it would mean invoking THIS provision for mutual defense – an attack on one is an attack on all – and drawing NATO into direct conflict with Russia.
A. Section 27 of the North Atlantic Treaty
B. Article XXI of the Second NATO Charter
C. Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty
D. Section 5 of the NATO Articles of Confederation
Correct Response: C. Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty
2. On the eve of the NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania, THIS president agreed to set aside their veto and clear a path in parliament for Sweden's application to NATO. The apparent change of heart came after Sweden pledged deeper cooperation on counterterrorism and support of Turkey's EU membership bid.
A. Nataša Pirc Musar
B. Abdullah Gül
C. Viktor Orbán
D. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
Correct Response: D. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
3. North Korea launched a solid fuel propelled ICBM, a Hwasong-18 the core of Pyongyang’s nuclear attack force that fell into the Sea of Japan as a demonstration. North Korea said the launch was a response to THIS provocation.
A. Visit of a U.S. aircraft carrier to South Korea
B. Flights of U.S. reconnaissance aircraft in North Korea exclusive economic zone in the Sea of Japan
C. Augmentation of troops on the South Korean side of the DMZ
D. Closing a joint North-South Korea reconciliation office.
Correct Response: B. Flights of U.S. reconnaissance aircraft in North Korea exclusive economic zone in the Sea of Japan
4. Egypt launched a new bid at a neighbors’ summit to halt fighting between THESE two warring factions and contain the humanitarian crisis it unleashed. The raging conflict has displaced over three million people.
A. Israel's Defense Forces and Palestine's Liberation Army
B. Sudan’s Armed Forces and Sudan’s Rapid Support Forces
C. Afghanistan’s Armed Forces and ISIS
D. Ukraine’s Armed Forces and Russia’s Wagner Group
Correct Response: B. Sudan’s Armed Forces and Sudan’s Rapid Support Forces https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/egypt-launch-fresh-sudan-mediation-attempt-during-summit-2023-07-13/
5. Yoon Suk-yeol, president of THIS country made a surprise visit to Ukraine including visits to Russian atrocity sites. Yoon agreed to expand humanitarian support to $150M but could not extend sale of lethal materials – his country holds one of the world’s largest stockpiles of munitions – until the country amends its laws.
D. South Korea
Correct Response: D. South Korea
6. The president of THIS BRICS nation was in Paris for top-level honors including a place of prominence in Bastille Day celebrations and sales of fighter jets and submarines. He and President Macron exchanged new camaraderie but did not gain any new position in support of Ukraine from the visitor.
Correct Response: C. India
7. The president of THIS nation, Emerson Mnangagwa, up for election in August announced a law prohibiting criticism of the government. The so-called Patriotic Bill, announced in the capital of Harare, could strip violators of citizenship or face jailing.
C. South Africa
Correct Response: B. Zimbabwe
8. Pita Limjaroenrat failed to secure sufficient support from lawmakers to become THIS Southeast Asian country's next prime minister, stumbling in his first attempt to restore a pro-democracy government and end nearly a decade of conservative military rule.
Correct Response: A. Thailand
9. Belarussian troops are beginning to be trained by troops from THIS mercenary group that was headed by Yevgeny Prigozhin until he launched a mutiny against Vladimir Putin. Ukrainian president Zelensky is closely monitoring the move to improve Belarus’ troops.
A. Prigozhin Group
B. Wagner Group
C. October Army
D. Sword of the State
Correct Response: B. Wagner Group
10. Europeans are dealing with deadly high temperatures throughout the continent. The temperature was expected to hit 117 degrees Farenheit on the island of Sardinia, part of THIS country.
Correct Response: B. Italy