1. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky will visit the United States this week to meet with President Joe Biden following his speech at THIS event.
A. UN General Assembly session opens
B. A Joint Session of the U.S. Congress
C. The NATO Summit set for Ottawa
D. The 2023 Defense Industries Production Convention
Correct Response: A. Opening a new session of the UN General Assembly
2. A torrential flash flood struck the northeast coast of Libya. The flood, caused by THIS extreme event, broke two dams, killing more than 10,000 people and leaving over 11,000 missing.
A. Mediterranean Storm Daniel
B. Hurricane Henry
C. 6.8 Magnitude Earthquake
D. A hailstorm
Correct Response: A. Mediterranean Storm Daniel
3. Gustavo Petro, president of THIS country that lies between Venezuela and the Darien Gap jungle into Panama, has said it was not his job to stop the record U.S.-bound flow of migrants despite an agreement signed with Washington. He noted the flow was “the product of poorly taken measures against Latin American peoples.”
Correct Response: C. Colombia
4. The first prison sentence – 17 years – was handed down to a supporter of THIS former president of Brazil. About 1,500 people were detained in January for attempting to forcefully restore him after his electoral defeat.
A. Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva
B. Jair Bolsonaro
C. Andrés Manuel López Obrador
D. Alejandro Giammattei
Correct Response: B. Jair Bolsonaro
5. A new office opened in Kyiv by THIS organization will help adjudicate the over 100,000 reported war crimes committed since Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
A. UN Security Council (UNSC)
B. International Criminal Court (ICC)
C. The Hague Court on War Crimes and Genocide (HCWCG)
D. International Court of Justice (ICJ)
Correct Response: B. International Criminal Court (ICC)
6. All 15 of Israel’s Supreme Court justices assembled for a case for the first time in its history. They started hearing petitions against a law passed in July that dramatically limits THIS, and resulted in nationwide protests.
A. Aid to Ukraine
B. Freedom of speech
C. Government protests
D. Powers of the judiciary
Correct Response: D. Powers of the judiciary
7. Iraq is increasing attention on repatriation of members and family members of THIS militant group held in the Al Hol camp in Syria. Baghdad has already brought over 5,000 Iraqis home to defuse the security threat posed by the group which was mostly defeated by a U.S.-led coalition in 2017.
A. Al Qaeda
Correct Response: C. ISIS
8. After the G20 summit in New Delhi, President Biden visited the Communist Party Headquarters in THIS capital to upgrade the formal relationship to the highest level. The two countries signed business deals on tech and AI.
Correct Response: B. Hanoi
9. Saudi Arabia will host five days of peace talks with THIS Iran-backed rebel Yemeni group. Riyadh has led a coalition fighting them in a civil war since 2014.
Correct Response: D. Houthis
10. Two merchant ships reached Ukrainian ports by following a new route along the western edges of the Black Sea, spoiling a Russian blockade. The ships were the first to arrive since Moscow backed out of a deal to facilitate THIS export to world markets.
Correct Response: C. Grain