1. Congress passed a short-term funding plan that omitted THIS military aid package, undercutting $6 billion in promised support.
A. Support to Philippines for anti-insurgent training
B. Air defense equipment to South Korea
C. Anti-drug special forces helicopters to Colombia
D. Military material support to Ukraine
Correct Response: D. Military material support to Ukraine
2. Turkey attacked militant targets in northern Iraq in retaliation for a bombing outside the Interior Ministry in Ankara. The bombing was claimed by THIS group, considered a terrorist organization by Turkey, the United States and the EU.
A. Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK)
B. Islamic State (ISIS)
C. Al Qaeda
D. Kurdistan Liberation Organization
Correct Response: A. Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK)
3. Indonesia launched a high-speed rail service, dubbed “Whoosh,” with support from THIS Chinese infrastructure development project.
A. Ports, Rails and Roadways (PRR) Project
B. The Peoples Path
C. Belt and Road Initiative
D. Global Reach
Correct Response: C. Belt and Road Initiative
4. Joint Chiefs Chairman Mark Milley retired in a ceremony in which he swore in his successor, THIS U.S. Air Force officer whose mantra has been “Accelerate Change.”
A. Admiral Chris Taylor
B. General Peter Matthews
C. General Charles Brown
D. General Anthony Cordele
Correct Response: C. General Charles Brown
5. U.S. Army soldier Travis King, a soldier who escaped military control and fled to THIS country was expelled and returned to the United States.
C. North Korea
Correct Response: C. North Korea
6. Russian President Vladimir Putin met with Andrei Troshev, a commander in THIS mercenary group and asked him to oversee the militia’s operations in Ukraine.
A. Prigozhin Brigade
B. The Victory Group
C. Bakhmut Battalion
D. Wagner Group
Correct Response: D. Wagner Group
7. The 2023 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine went to two Hungarian scientists for their work in THIS critical area.
A. Genome discoveries in human evolution
B. Development of Covid-19 vaccines
C. Discovery of Hepatitis-C cure
D. Research into viable Malaria treatments
Correct Response: B. Development of Covid-19 vaccines
8. France is to withdraw its ambassador and 1,500 troops from THIS country, ending a months-long stand-off since a coup that overthrew Mohamed Bazoum, the elected president, in July.
A. Burkina Faso
Correct Response: C. Niger
9. Canada's Parliament speaker, Anthony Rota, resigned after THIS incident in a parliamentary session that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenksy attended.
A. Rota introduced a man who fought for a Nazi military unit during WWII as a Ukrainian hero
B. Rota failed to mediate a divisive debate about funding for Ukraine
C. Rota accidentally disclosed sensitive classified information
D. Rota revealed allegations of mismanagement of parliamentary resources
Correct Response: A. Rota introduced a man who fought for a Nazi military unit during WWII as a Ukrainian hero
10. Funding for the widely successful AIDS relief program, called THIS, is under attack in Congress. Although it has no connection to reproductive healthcare opponents call for legislative language to prohibit AIDS care by organizations that also provide abortion services.
A. AIDS Relief
C. Africa Aid
Correct Response: B. PEPFAR